THAT'S WHAT I CALL COUNTRY!
There is no doubt that the late, great Charles Jacobie pioneered true Country music in South Africa in the 50's and 60's. Dubbed as "The Singing Cowboy" or "Die Singende Beesboer", his recordings, in both English and Afrikaans, swept the best seller charts of the era. What an honour when Charles recorded three of my songs on the last album he recorded - "Charles Jacobie sê Dankie". The songs were "Droomverlore", "My Mooiste lied" and "Oorkant die Vaalrivier".
When my first agents, "The Petersen Brothers", gave me my first professional break on the big stage in 1965, they asked me: "What do you want us to bill you as?" I said "A Country and Western Artist" and on my first show I sang "Detroit City". Although it went down fairly well, it was before the Country explosion in South-Africa in the late seventies, and nobody took much notice. I then switched to Folk and Pop-folk and joined the Country scene when it finally "happened".
In 1977 I visited the Country Hall Of Fame in Nashville and was awestruck by the way in which the American people honour and cherish their great Country music artists and heritage. In 2004, I was admitted to the South African Country Hall Of Fame, the brainchild of dedicated music man, Lourens Fourie who thought it was high time the local Country artists were recognized for their dedication to the genre.
I love to sing any good song, be it in the style of Ballad, Rock, Pop, Folk or Country and this album contains the Country songs I love to sing most. They are a salute to the Country giants of the world; not forgetting our local Country artists; especially our own legend, Charles Jacobie.
1. IT MUST BE LOVE ( 3.04) ( Bob McDill)-Universal
2. THE GAMBLER (3.32) (D. Shiltz)-Sony
3. HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT(2.56) (Kris Kristofferson)-EMI
4. GENTLE ON MY MIND (2.57) (J.Hartford)-Sony
5. RING OF FIRE (2.34) (June Carter/ Merle Kilgore)-Gallo
6. FROM A JACK TO A KING (2.10) (Ned Miller)-Gallo
7. SOME DAYS ARE DIAMONDS (3.34)(John Denver)-Gallo
8. FOLSOM PRISON BLUES (2.30) (Johnny Cash)-Gallo
9. HEAVEN IS MY WOMAN'S LOVE (2.40) (Dobbins/Kirsten)-Sony
10. RHINESTONE COWBOY (3.28) (L.Weiss)-Gallo
11. YOUR'E MY BEST FRIEND (2.45) (Wayland Holyfield)-Universal
12. TAKE ME HOME COUNTRY ROADS (3.06) ( Danoff/ Nivert/ Denver)-Little Monster
13. DETROIT CITY (3.04) (M.Tillis/D. Bill)-Universal
14. LUCILLE (3.33) (R. Bowing / H. Bynam)-David Gresham
15. AMANDA (3.05) (Bob McDill)-Universal
16. WHY ME LORD? (3.21) (Kris Kristofferson)-EMI
Recorded by Costa Nicholas at Prosong studios Johannesburg.
John Ross Edmond. Sleeve design: Teresa Edmond and Nadia Delport.
John Ross Edmond.
Jan van Niekerk.
© Copyright Roan Antelope Music. ( Member of: RISA,SAMRO and NORM)